Swallowed button batteries

What to do if you suspect your child has swallowed a button battery

Swallowing a button battery is a potentially life-threatening emergency that frequently requires surgery. Waiting to seek treatment can harm your child.

If you witnessed or suspect that your child has swallowed a button battery, bring them to an emergency department at a pediatric hospital immediately.

Honey can reduce the damage caused by button batteries

If your child is over 1 year old, is able to swallow and you know that the incident happened within 12 hours, give them 2 teaspoons of honey every 10 minutes to a maximum of 6 times.

  • Do not give honey to a child under 1 year of age
  • Do not give honey if the battery was swallowed more than 12 hours ago.
  • Do not delay coming to the emergency department to obtain honey.
  • Do not give your child anything else to eat or drink.
  • Take the child to the emergency department immediately.
This page needs an update? Report it here!